Fog Shrouded Libby Hill


I am not a morning person. Period. But when the weather forecast recently was calling for fog the next morning, it just happened I was already scheduled to get up early to get my girlfriend in to work, so I checked the camera gear (that had not been used in a woefully long time) and thought about what venue would yield something interesting. The last foggy day was spent downtown, so I wanted to go somewhere different - ahh, Libby Hill!


Well, as it turns out, I didn't get out until around 8:15 and the fog was probably better earlier, but I am very happy with the results! Its hard to take a bad picture in the fog. I took over a dozen panoramic shots. Before starting, I thought the main focus of most shots would be the Soldiers and Sailors monument, but interestingly, those are the shots I liked the least, save the couple shown here.


As much of the city is beginning to stir, up on the hill, it's only occasional joggers and dog walkers out (watch your step!). It is lovely and quiet, and the fog make it seem even more so.


I want to return here when the fog is even heavier, completely obscuring the city at the bottom of the hill.
 

The monument was dedicated in 1894. Legend has it that it was from this vantage point William Byrd II, seeing the bend in the James River, noted its similarity to Richmond on the Thames, and so named our city.

Comments

Popular Posts